Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Passover Easter!

Growing up, I attended a Presbyterian Church, a.k.a., the Church of Scotland. I loved this church dearly. It was all about love and acceptance. We learned all of the positive teachings of Jesus Christ. The cool thing about this church was that it was connected to a Jewish Synagogue. Which one, I really don't remember. I want to say Beth Shalom in Overland Park, which is no longer there. But honestly, it was so long ago I couldn't be 100%. My mom might remember but then I'd have to explain to her what a blog is and I'm not up for that right now. But I digress.

For Jewish holidays, we would celebrate at the temple. The one that really stands out in my mind is Passover.

Passover, for those who don't know, commemorates the liberation of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery. The name Passover derives from the night of the Tenth Plague when the Angel of Death saw lamb's blood on the doorposts of the houses of Israel and "skipped over" them and did not kill their firstborn. The meal of the Passover Seder commemorates this event. It was this meal we would celebrate. Leavened bread is not allowed (think Catholics and their prohibition on meat).
Passover will be happening soon although I'm not entirely sure when. The reason I know it's coming up? Because it's always around Easter time.

Now imagine being a child, learning that there was a plague brought on by the Angel of Death but if you put lamb's blood on your door you wouldn't die. You eat crappy bread on Saturday and are happy because you are the first born son (which I am) and didn't die. Then on Friday Jesus was killed and on Sunday he came back and the Easter Bunny would come and give you eggs and you eat the lamb whose blood you put on the door.

So yeah... I guess this explains a lot, huh?

No comments:

Blog Archive