Thursday, August 27, 2009

I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist...

I started meditating because it helped me, big time. I wasn't interested in becoming a Buddhist at all. As a matter of fact, I avoided joining a Sangha (a community of Buddhists) like the plague. But it was suggested to me that I do so by a teacher I greatly respect, Brad Warner.

I searched for a group that had a legitimate lineage. I was not interested in Buddhist reading groups! They have a tendency to simply want to look like Buddhists. I wanted a group whose main focus was meditating so I knew I wanted to find a Zen group ("zen" means "meditation"). I came across a group that sits near me called the Kwan Um School of Zen which descends from the Chongye School of Zen in Korea . Very down-to-earth. Sure they are into interviewing, chanting and bowing, which were new to me, but every sangha has its own "thing."

So I went one Tuesday evening to the Unity Temple on the Plaza and sat. I attended their Intro to Zen Class and their Compass of Zen Class at the Kansas Zen Center in Lawrence, KS. I sat one one-day retreat and one weekend retreat and plan to sit one of each again this fall. This winter, I hope to receive the precepts which pretty much means I would officially become a Zenny (my phrase).

But I really wouldn't call myself a Buddhist. Sure I sit Zen style. But I also hit the heavy bag. Does that make me a boxer?

Blake

Oh yeah! If anyone is in the Kansas City/Lawrence area and is interested in learning more, there is a Foundations of Zen Class on Thursdays, September 17 and September 24 at 7 p.m. The cost is $20 for both sessions. The money is used to help support the Zen Center (keeping the lights on and all). Led by Dharma Teacher Jane Gnojek who is the cat's meow.

http://kansaszencenter.org/

No comments:

Blog Archive